Friday, July 9, 2010

Farmer's Market Comes to Sugar House

Yippee for local neighborhood farmers markets! Today was opening day for one that is practically in my backyard and it was a fabulous success at least by my barometer. There were local goods to be had from vegetables to organic meat, pizza to plants, jewelry to photo shoots and beyond. I was so happy to see a healthy gathering of people supporting the opening day of this market that will be held each Friday afternoon this summer in the heart of Sugar House.

Serendipitously, I found that one of the booths is Kenyon Organics run by some friends of mine.Cory and Carolyn had an almost overwhelming selection of heirloom plants, vegetables and herbs. Perfect for a food blogger’s garden, or anyone’s garden. Carolyn helped me pick out some wonderful heirloom varieties to round out my vegetable garden and signed me up for their "Heirloom Tomato Tasting Party"-- something I don't want to miss. You can sign up as well by going by their booth sometime this summer. If you'd like to read something on heirloom plantings, Carolyn has an article in Edible Wasatch summer issue.

click to enlarge

A few of my favorite vendors were there- House of Bread, Riley's Sweet Fruit, Green River Melons, Traces, Bug Farms, Tony Caputo's, Surefire Pizza, Community Co-Op, Chocolate Bliss, Cheese Bread.

If you haven’t been to your local farmer’s market yet,

try and schedule a trip soon.

15 comments:

  1. I was so excited to read about the new market. What a great Friday night activity. I like that it's so close to our neighborhood and that I don't have to worry about parking. Can't wait to go next week. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely spot..lucky you! I try to get to our local farmers market every Sat. morning..love love the flower ladies. xoxoxo
    Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that they are having it Friday night. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like a good farmer's market to MAKE my weekend. This one sounds fantastic! so lucky to have it so close to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love farmer's markets, and this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what great finds! i will absolutely be checking this one out! thanks cristie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We went on Friday as well...I'm sorry we didn't run into you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very excited to start going to this market! It is right around the corner from me as well. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cool venders. I need to go to this one soon. that heirloom tomato tasting party sounds fun! yipee for farmers markets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't forget there's a Farmer's Market starting up this Tuesday night at Pioneer Craft House in Salt Lake (ne corner of 33rd S and 500 E). Small but fun and they usually feature live music, demos, and sometimes a free food item.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited to hear about the new farmer's market. The more, the better, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We always go downtown on Saturdays. We will have to check out Sugarhouse soon. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HOw wonderful, fabulous pictures. I love going to the market. I love all the pretty colours and the fantastic displays. It always makes me feel like taking out my camera (and I hate taking pictures).
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love farmers markets, this one looks wonderful. And a tomato tasting party? Wow, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you for writing about us! We look forward to seeing you again soon-Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails