Friday, June 4, 2010

Lemon Bars, Summertime has Begun!

While I was growing up I was lucky to have family gatherings that brought me together with cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. It started with Memorial Day and ended with Labor Day—a summer of family. Of course as a child you took many things for granted and good food was one of them. One dessert however everyone remembers as being extra tasty, Aunt Donna’s Lemon Bars. And now I share it with you. I’ve used this recipe over the years and it’s never failed me.

One pointer that I would pass along that is very important is pan size. Don’t fudge on the size of the pan. If you double the recipe, which I do often, use a pan with exactly the same amount of square inches. It matters. I call mine the double wide-- it is really a large lasagna pan, but it has exactly the same measurements as two 9 x 13 inch pans would have. The bonus of using an extra large pan is as you cut the bars you don't loose any edges, you get more bars and more of all the wonderful yummy goodness to share! And while we're talking about pans this is my favorite 9 x 13 from Williams-Sonoma (the squares always turn out SQUARE). You can make these lemon bars in less than an hour from start to finish, but they do need some cooling time before you cut them.

The biggest problem you will have after you’ve made these addictive tangy tidbits is sharing them quickly so that you don’t have them calling your name every five minutes!


What is your favorite family summer recipe?

14 comments:

  1. if someone showed me that photo and said "who's recipe is this?" i'd know it was you! this looks/sounds just like you. beautiful treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon bars sound so incredibly delicious to me right now. I love their tart sweetness. I also love that these hold so many memories for you! Makes them all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon bars are a perennial favorite of mine...yours are gorgeous. And now I'm totally craving them. Thanks alot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looooove lemon bars and your Aunt Donna's look fabulously delicious! I especially love that the crust looks more substantial than most:) I'm going to have to check out the W-S pan. I will be making these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, if dessert wasn't already planned for tonight, I'd be pulling out the lemon juice. Summer foods are the best - but I'll have to say my favorite dessert for this time of year is strawberry rhubarb pie. Ooh, you just can't beat these tangy flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon bars are the best! I love the raspberries on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good lemon bar! If dessert can't be chocolate then it had better be lemon ;) Thanks for sharing Aunt Donna's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These really look delicious. They are a favorite of mine and this is an outstanding recipe. Actually all of your recipes are pretty darn good :-). I love to visit here. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmmm....lemon bars!! they do speak of summer, and yours are speaking volume's!! thanks so much for sharing and your image's are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminds me of our trip to Park City. We need to plan a lunch soon. I also need to plan to make these soon. My mouth is watering already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of these comments have reminded me that almost every family has a recipe for lemon bars- they are such a wonderful standard cookie bar! The next time you make them enjoy every morsel :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These bars just scream "summer" to me and look absolutely fabulous; great photography. Totally a must try!

    xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  13. how funny! My daughter just made lemon bars the other day. These look great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails