Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tarragon Chicken Salad & a Tasty Tangy Neighbor Gift for Christmas

This summer I started a project that will be completed this weekend. My family will be giving out bottles of tarragon vinegar as neighbor gifts, a small reminder of this beautiful Christmas season and how much we appreciate their friendship.

The vinegar wasn’t difficult to make, I quite enjoyed the process of harvesting the fragrant herb from a generous neighbor with a terrific green thumb. After stewing the vinegar with fresh herbs of tarragon, chives and a bit of oregano the liquid steppes for two to three weeks in a cool dark place. Put it into bottles, add a fresh sprig of tarragon, seal jars with wax and add a label. The result is simply delightful.

One of my favorite ways to use tarragon vinegar is in a chicken salad with a tart apple and grapes. The recipe comes from The Foster Market Cookbook that was pointed out to me by a dear friend. It has just the right mix of flavors and is worth the effort it takes to make the tarragon mayonnaise. I’ve eaten a similar salad at a local eatery, Pinon for years- maybe you have a favorite cafe' that has a similar salad?



Wishing each of you a memorable, meaningful holiday that’s filled with delicious things to eat and time to enjoy them with your loved ones.

15 comments:

  1. Yum! One of my most memorable meals was a yummy chicken tarragon salad served on sesame chips at a deli in DC. I'll definitely be trying out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to give mine out! I especially love the dressing on top of broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet idea! My favorite vinegar is tarragon vinegar.

    I've noticed your recent absence and hope all is well. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, thoughtful Christmas gift. The chicken salad looks so fresh and delicious - perfect any time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see you Cristie! What a fabulous and unique culinary gift. Your neighbors will be thrilled to receive it, no doubt! Your chicken salad recipe sounds so good, and I'd just love to SLATHER this mayonnaise on a sandwich:) Mmmmmm! MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are back daaaahling. You have been missed. The tarragon vinegar looks lovely, it will be an amazing little gift. You packaged it so beautifully.
    Happy Holidays.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being currently on diet I appreciate any good recipe for salad. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cristie---we have all missed you, and are happy to have you return with these fine recipes, just in time for the holidays! Tarragon is an under-used herb, and it imparts the most lovely almost-licorice essence to sauces. Good for you, infusing the vinegar!
    wishing you love and joy this season

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cristie! I've missed you! Every week I check for an update so I was so excited to see this recipe! I can't wait to try it.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello there stranger! nice to see you :) this is beautiful. i pray your Christmas is wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea for a Christmas gift! I'm glad to see you are back at blogging. :-) Have a very merry Christmas and best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sound of that tarragon mayonnaise. It could really make any sandwich irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love flavored oils, and this one looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fine linens are smooth and soft, no coarse knots or uneven slubs should be visible; they may also be lustrous, but never shiny. Workmanship is key: all designs must be precisely executed, all colors uniform, and all seams must be finished evenly and correctly to ensure they are suitable for a lifetime of use.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails