Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mabey Corn and Pumpkins, from the Centennial Farm

When I first met my husband’s family 30 years ago it was in the fall. The Mabey Family Farms were bursting with all sorts of produce- tomatoes, beets, carrots, apples, beans, zucchini, and their famous sweet corn. It really is the best corn in the Salt Lake Valley, and I can vouch for the great people that produce it. The family farm is now being run by one wonderful cousin and his family. Everything grows better when you mix it up with hard work and love- and that’s what you get from this Centennial Farm.

click to enlarge

The corn has about run it’s season now. They have been selling it at all the local farmer’s markets in the valley, but their pumpkins are ready to be picked. Starting this week they will have pumpkins, cornstalks and straw for holiday décor. If you want to pick a pumpkin right out of the patch, Mabey Pumpkin Patch is open Monday through Saturday from 10 am to 8 pm. Your kids or grandkids will love you for it. If you are looking for a great place in your neighborhood for a a local pumpkin patch (in the United states) check this site.

Meanwhile, enjoy the remaining corn harvest while you can! What is your favorite way to eat a fresh ear of corn?

photo credit: CML

6 comments:

  1. How fun to marry into a farm:) I like corn on the cob roasted. We can buy it that way at the local pumpkin patch:) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when I make the corn ear in the BBQ and then spread butter while it's hot. Yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to visit such a wonderful place! How neat to have it in the family.

    I love to partially husk the ears of corn, soak them in water and then grill them on the gas grill. Sad to think they the season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is a little family in draper that have a huge pumpkin patch and i have taken my girls there every year of their lives... BUT i might make a special trip to your families farm this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite way to eat corn is boiled, and then slathered in butter and lime... mmm!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all my blogmates favorite farms around the country--so interesting!
    Yes, pumpkin time is here--so fun to see all the great huge orange shapes in a field.
    I love corn grilled in the husk, slapped with a little butter and salt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails