How often in today's world do good people get their wishes granted? Not in a fairy tale, but in the real world? In December Jamie Oliver, self proclaimed FOOD REVOLUTIONIST was awarded the 2010 TED Prize, that grants recipients $100,000 and something much bigger- an opportunity to change the world! If you haven't seen his 18 minute acceptance video, you might want to take the time while you're doing the dishes or cleaning up your desktop--- you won't be sorry, I wasn't.
What I learned: Believe it or not . . .
- Our food landscape has changed so markedly that many young children can not recognize common fruits and vegetables
- Home, School and Main Street have abandoned REAL FOOD for quick, cheap and processed foods
- Most foods three decades ago were produced locally, the majority of today's food is not
- Much of our current food is processed and FILLED with sugar & chemical additives
- Childhood obesity has tripled with one in three children ages 10 to 17 being overweight or obese
My views on the local food supply are right in line with Jamie Oliver. I was happy to go to his webpage and sign his petition to become a part of the FOOD REVOLUTION. Maybe you would like to join this group as well? I grew up hearing my mother say "you are what you eat"- and she was right! We should be giving our children, grandchildren and neighbor's children the best opportunity to eat right and time is ticking away!
Granting wishes? Most of us won't get hard $$$ but as far as REAL FOOD it starts at home,
in our own kitchen
around our own table.
Make some real food today and share it with someone you love.