On Sunday I tried my hand a second time at these cute little pies with a jar of pre-made homemade apple pie filling (recipe coming later). It was a one pint jar and I made 8 pies with 1/2 of a recipe of pastry dough. They turned out quite nice and having done the hand held pies twice now I have learned a few things.
- The pastry dough should be rolled out thin, as thin as possible ( you are getting more than a regular amount of pastry in these little pies, so thin is a good idea unless you have double the time to spend at the gym).
- Putting the egg wash around the edge of the inside of the pie to seal the two pieces is pretty much mandatory in keeping them together if you want the filling inside the pie.
- Fillings should be cut into tiny pieces.
- Brushing the egg wash on top should be put on the center of the pie, but not necessarily on the crimped edge (it gets a little over done).
- These hand held pies are somewhat time consuming to make, plan on more time than you would to make a regular pie or playing the Tom Sawyer game and gathering others around you to help.
One addition to the recipe for these Veggie Cheese Scrambles- we did cook the shredded potatoes and asparagus in a frying pan with some olive oil for a few minutes before we mixed them in with the other ingredients. This allowed the pies to cook quickly in the oven.
Let me know if you try making these cute little babies and how they turn out for you!